All Things Books: June CollectionWednesday, June 29, 2016
All Things Books
"If you look after Goodness and Truth, Beauty will take care of itself." Eric Gill
I am not much of a country girl. We live very close to a good sized city, granted not a huge one, but still, this probably makes me a city girl. Being in the dirt is not really my thing. Sure I can handle a walking trail hike, and I enjoy watching the clouds in the sky. But getting my hands messy, well it is not really my thing - yes I do have boys, and yes I make exceptions as I am a mom... This year I agreed to plant a flower garden, from seeds. My boys and I turned over soil, dug out spots for seeds, covered it all with fresh dirt and mulch, and have been watering & weeding faithfully. We are focused on the truth that seeds need nutrients from the soil, water, and sun. Just this week the beauty of beautiful blooms have been our reward. It is a wonderful lesson for my kids and for me...
Summer has officially begun, and with it, we have enjoyed quite a bit of heat - have you? So far we have avoided getting sunburns, and that is quite a feat I feel! I am still working on a personal project, which has kept me quieter over here. Hopefully, I'll get a few more posts schedule in the next few days so July has a little more to do over here! Also, I would like to invite all of you reading to leave your own writings and posts with me over on The Cozy Reading Spot. I stop by each link and love seeing what you all are up to!
As I have been sharing each month this year, I have been finding some awesome articles on books, reading, literature and anything that has to do with books. So in case you are wanting some quick reads, some new perspectives or even just some new suggestions for books to read, I would love to share them with you.
- Many of you have said you just do not have the time to read too many books, and want recommendations on really important, influential books. Well here is a great list of Ten books that have "Hugely Impacted the Western World."
- While I'll admit, it is hard to find good fiction to read, here is a wonderful reminder of why filling our shelves with non-fiction might not be the best option... Balance is the key to everything! What Science is Saying About Fiction Readers
- For all of you fairy tale lovers, why not pick your next book from this great list of retellings? Compare and contrast your favorites! Granted this is a little out-dated, but still, there are so many options! 162 Retellings of Classics
- For those of you who might just border on being annoying with your grammatical fixes... that totally includes me... this is a fun chart of the actual meaning of many words that we colloquially use incorrectly!
- If you have a kid who is currently reading, but the interest is starting to fade, this article from Reading Rainbow has some great suggestions!
- I'm torn on this list of 26 Contemporary Books That Should Be Taught in High School - What are your thoughts?
- This is a great list of read-alouds for preschoolers and kindergartners!
I hope you found a thing or two from that list that caught your eye, maybe you could reserve a book at your library, or add to your Goodreads to-read list. There are also a few great articles to remind you just how great reading is! If you want some encouragement as you find books you love, please join our group on Goodreads, we'd love to be there as you fall in love with books. Please consider seeing yourself as a lover of books, and join in the goal of finding a book you love each month this year... That means now you only have to read 6 books!
"If you look after goodness and truth, beauty will take care of itself." #EricGill #AllThingsBooks @Reading_List1
What was your favorite from the round-up? What would you add? Is there something you want to see in July's round-up?
Leave me a note about anything to do with your book choices from June!
**If you have a great resource for a book, a genre, or anything to do with books, let me know! You are always welcome to share your posts on Thursdays here, but if you want to point me to a great resource, leave a comment, or shoot me a note. I love hearing from you!
Check out these great blogs where I'm sharing this!