All Things Books: January's CollectionFriday, January 29, 2016
All Things Books
"If you don't love to read, you just haven't found the right book." (Tim Green)
There is something about that quote that should catch our attention. Life today, for most, is full of go and movement and next. It can be exhausting, yet so many refuse to sit and relax and be calm. The thing about books is that you can sit and relax physically while you can engage your mind in a way so many screens refuse to do.
The next thing is - since our lives are so fast pace it is hard to know how to pick up a book that might engage, or entertain you. We can rely on the number of five-star reviews on popular online sites (not that we are going to read said reviews, just glance at the number next to the rating), or we can stick to the best sellers lists. But many of us have been burned by a pick from one or both of these methods.
Then, there is the chance of getting a recommendation from a trusted friend, this tends to be our best bet. And for that reason, I try to be as honest as I can with my reviews. Maybe you could come to trust me as a "book" friend who will honestly tell you about a book, and you can decide if you want to pick it up. The plus to allowing me to become your reading pal is once you read a book, you get to come over to this little Cozy Reading Spot and share all about it!
However, there is no way I could read enough books to provide thoughts and reviews on all the genres all of you would be interested in - trust me, I would love to do this for you. Instead, I am going to provide a monthly round-up of great book reviews, observations on genres, really anything related to reading from some of my favorite bloggers.
The goal is that you can find a book you love each month and by 2017 you might just consider yourself a lover of books.
- Jennifer at The Homework Diaries put together a wonderful list of books she wants to read in 2016 with a quick reason why she picked it. It is quite the list full of Christian focus books, homeschooling support and more - some I have read, others I have not. If you are looking for a few suggestions to inspire and encourage you this year still, Jennifer just might have a great suggestion for you. My Must Read Books for 2016
- Joy Forney is going to do a monthly book club - this month they did You and Me Forever... stop by and see their discussion. Joy is always a fun blogger to check in on as she parents and travels... well I won't steal her story if you don't already know. She is asking her readers how they are filling their souls in this new fresh year in order to be more devoted. Stop by for some encouragement, this is especially good for the mamas.
- Jonathan at Eagle Soaring Higher is hosting a great book club facebook group - they just recently started working through The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John C Maxwell. In his introduction blog post, Jonathan goes over the main idea from the book. If you are at all involved in running a business of any kind, you might want to check this out. Introduction to The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership and the Law of the Lid
- Melissa put together an amazing list of books from the '80's for today's teen's... do you remember any of these? I will be honest, there are some on this list that I totally want my kids to read when they are teenagers, but there are others on this list that I'm not too sure I want my kids spending their time on. Plus many of the books Melissa shares are certainly for mature teens. 13 Books From Your '80's Childhood Your Kids Need to Read
- I'm a huge fan of children's books, partly because of the simple timeless wisdom! While this image has been floating around for a while now, it caught my attention yet again this month and reminded me that many lessons can be taught with children's books and that is a beautiful thing. Children's Books Figured Out Life Long Ago
- And because seriously, this picture explains why movies, while a completely different medium, are not the same as reading the book! Facebook image from The Writer's Circle
I hope you found a thing or two from that list that caught your eye, maybe you could reserve a book at your library, or add to your Goodreads to-read list. If you want some encouragement as you find books you love, please join our group on Goodreads, we'd love to be there as you fall in love with books.
"If you don't love to read, you just haven't found the right book." #AllThingsBooks @Reading_List
What was your favorite from the roundup? What would you add?
Leave me a note about anything to do with your book choices from January!
**If you have a great resource for a book, a genre, or anything to do with books, let me know! You are always welcome to share your posts on Thursdays here, but if you want to point me to a great resource, leave a comment, or shoot me a note. I love hearing from you!
Check out these great hops: